Friday, July 30, 2010
5 ways to give your website an SEO boost! - IndSEO
Search Engine Optimization is not an easy task. It takes a lot of time and work in order to make a real difference. This article is just to give you a jumping off point and to give you some ideas to improve the SEO on your website.
1. Search engines love text. Make sure your web pages are optimized using keywords & phrases specific to your business in the content of the page. Avoid keyword stuffing (having a large number of keywords all over your page). Your site will be penalized by Google for this. Keyword density should be somewhere between 3%-5%. The way to figure this out is:
Keyword Density Percentage = Number of Primary Keywords / Total Word Count x 100
2. Build links to your site. You can submit your business info to many directories online. Get a listing on internet yellow pages. Yellowpages.com, yellowbook.com & dexknows.com are some examples of the internet yellow page directories. There are several other websites you can get listed on as well including- dmoz.org, local chamber of commerce website & yahoo.dir. These are a great place to start.
3. Optimize your Title Tag using keywords specific to that page. Your Title Tag is the first (and often only) line of text a person will read when click on a search result. 65 characters is all you have to work with. Make them count! This helps with you On-Page SEO.
If your company is well-known, using your company name as your title is the best course of action. However, for the rest of us, using descriptive words would be better. Examples of this are: “Real Estate – Ann Arbor, MI” using place name in order to rank higher within local SEO or using your business name after the description, helping to brand your business “Internet Marketing Company | Indigo Media Consulting”.
4. Blog! Blogs are an excellent way to drive traffic to your website. You can sign up on websites such as blogger.com for free or you can add a blog sub-domain ex. blog.yourcompanyname.com or www.yourcompanyname.com/blog.
5. The Description Meta Tag sits directly below your title tag on a search engine result page. 150 characters is all you have to describe your business. Make them count! The Description tag is another area that will help with On-Page SEO.
The best way to use this space is to give a brief idea of what your company is about. If you are a Real Estate company (sticking with the theme), it’s important to build trust with your clients. Information about how long you’ve been in business is a great way to make people feel comfortable. It may be a client that is looking for Commercial Real Estate..you don’t want to limit yourself to just Commercial but entering Commercial | Residential | Lot or Land, would be a great way to get all 3 services and not take up as much space describing them all.
Prachar is the owner of IndSEO, A India based search engine marketing firm offering a variety of SEO related services including reputation management, social media marketing, email marketing, website conversion metrics and mobile phone application development. Please contact Prachar@ymail.com to learn more